Monday, March 2, 2015

Dip Dye Chair Legs

If you have been following me on Instagram, you'd have known that I'd picked up this awesome stool from the trash area underneath my void deck.


I can't believe someone would toss it out. Mainly because I've been thinking about getting one just like this.
Of course though, I can see why someone would. The legs have started to rot.



I didn't think it was that big a deal and thought it'll be a relatively easy fixer-upper. Already I knew in mind what I could do with it  dip dye its legs.
I've decided to document the process and make a simple DIY tutorial.


First things first. Materials you'll need aside from your beat up stool:
Masking tape, or painter's tape + spray paint colour of your choice.



Tape off areas where you don't want the paint to go on. Make sure you get nice straight lines where the legs are. This ensures you get a neat finish.
Everywhere else doesn't really matter so long as you've sealed it off proper.


On hindsight, we should have sanded down the areas where we'd wanted spray painted too. This would have allowed our paint to grip on the wood better.


Take your spraying outdoors. You don't want to be breathing in any fumes. 
Set up your spraying area with some tarp (or newspapers) to prevent the ruining of any walls or floors.



This was what we did. We'd created a setup at our corridor.


Not necessary, but we'd placed a board down from the stool's legs as a further surety we don't get paint on any bits we didn't want either.



Follow your can's instructions and paint as many coats needed. 
Leave your stool to dry and peel off the tape after.

 


Yay, you've just given your furniture new life! This stool is going into the corner of our studio as a plant stand. I think it looks super cute, like it has socks on. 

All we need to do now is to decide on a plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment