Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fox Dress, Plus A Couple of Events



Been working on this little dress for the past week now. Printing foxes is hard business!
As the orange fabric paint I bought is not opaque like my white, I had to do multiple layers, 2 orange coats on top of 2 white coats for the base.


 

 Plus a coat for the ears, a coat for the white of the face, and then dots for eyes and noses. 
 Definitely not as straight forward as my other projects! 

 

The neck of this dress is a lot wider as well compared to my other dresses, almost off-shoulder but not quite. I gave it rather skinny sleeves as well. 
This is the outcome of it! 


I've also added a minute detail at the near-bottom of the dress. Not quite sure if you can see it in the photo. Quite a subtle fold to give the dress a bit more personality. I'm rather contemplative if I sh/would put this up for sale. It's a lot of work, but let's see the response to it! 

Still, I would need an overlock. 

Or, I could just sew french seams...

::
::
::

Friday, we headed down to Unleashed!
This was the event where I helped silkscreen posters for.
There were some really good enjoyable dances in there. Top 2 fave dances are most certainly the interpretive dance, "Unsettled", and the engaging slam poetry + a loveable prototypical battle of classic versus hip hop, "Sunday Avenue Crew". Ending the evening off,  Ty brought Jian and I to this sweet Japanese eatery down at Cuppage for some good o'fashioned tamago ramen and yaki gyoza for supper!

::
::
::

 Saturday, we headed down to Uyii's launch. It's fantastic to see more local designers getting out there! A definitive change of scene in Singapore, and I'm liking where this is heading. No products shot of their line from me, but a few poor snaps of their studio!



A friend of theirs hand-drawn this mural and filled it in with black markers. How amazing does it look?
Also, that's the designer of Uyii's bags, Li Ping, munching on a cupcake by the left.



A couple of their other friends too, fashioned these furniture all on their own out of cardboard! The last time I was there, they were in the figuring-it-out-stage. Upon launch, all these were built! I'm thoroughly impressed!


Take a look at their side project too, Pipe Dreams. They aim to construct 100 whimsical cloud pillows through scraps of unwanted textiles. These cloud pillows really are a dream. Their craftsmanship is just stunning! I wish I had taken an individual snapshot of each cloud on display!

Still, the best element in the studio was this simple yet effective poster.




::
::
::


& an update! If you've been wondering where my website has gone too, the previous domain has expired and this is the new/current one! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh so you did go for uyii's opening! I love the vibes of that place! :D Also, I think the fox dress looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)
    Yeah, didn't hang there too long though. We missed Yiyi anyhow

    ReplyDelete