Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day 2012

I don't cook on a regular basis.

For some reason, I felt particularly inspired to prepare dinner on the night that so happened to fall on Valentine's Day.

It was a really good day spent with my sissy, preparing a meal for our mom and my fiance. I would, too, prepare a meal every night, if cooking weren't so expensive. Ingredients cost so much! Take for example: a bunch of avocados. They would cost $3.50, which is more than the cost of a packet of chicken rice I get from the hawker center!

Anyways, I decided to try out a couple of Jamie Oliver's recipes off his mobile app. Since I've had past successes with his recipes before, and they were always pretty much easy to follow, I had full trust to embark on them without going through a preliminary tester.

And what did y'know? By the grace of God, we got ourselves a very delightful dinner, which surprised even me (despite, a few minor disasters with our food processor over heating and almost cooking with spoilt butter)!

For mains, we served up a roasted rack of lamb with Dauphinoise potatoes.




Not all the potatoes were thoroughly cooked through, even though I've popped them back into the oven for an extra 20. Yet the lamb! Oh! Unimaginable success I've had with them! Perfectly pink and tender right through! Lamb could have been a lot less fatty, but hey. What were we to expect from Fair Price?

For desserts, we served up a simple affair of Banana crepe Suzette. Can I also express my shock in finding out how none of them has ever had it before?




All in all, a good day spent cooking for my family.
Hope everyone enjoyed theirs and had a meaningful one too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment